

Today was the day that came WAY earlier than I thought it would. Today is the day that Sophie started really linking her adoption story all together. She's 3 folks. Today we talked about nursing, how my tummy doesn't "work" to make babies, adoption...then:
Sophie: "Mom, what did they do with me after I was born?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Sophie: "My birthmother and birthfather? What did they do with me?"
Me: "Well, they put you down in a spot where someone would be able to find you. A person did find you and took you to the police station. A policeman then took you to your orphanage so you would be safe, have an Ayi (nanny) and have some milk."
Sophie eats some french fries...
Sophie: "Did they leaved me on the side of the road?"
Me: "No"
I then proceed to tell her the details of her abandonment.
Apparently Sophie has overheard about the newest adopted child at our church. Her abandonment story has been openly shared and I didn't realize she was listening when the mother told me about it. Sophie puts things together well, and I think she thought that since she was adopted she too was left by the side of the road.
I love children for asking questions and being honest.
Last week, Sophie asked how her birth parents died. I asked her what did she mean? She said, were they killed? Thankfully the Holy Spirit must have given me wisdom to know where she was coming from. For Sophie, if someone isn't "with"us anymore then they must have died. I explained that we didn't know, and it is likely that they are not dead.
Sophie always moves on to talk about the adoption of her sibling. She has recently given the okay for God to give her a sister should he decide to do so.
I will be honest, Sophie's beginning grieves me, and I hate that I don't have a sweet story to tell her of her start in life. I am reminded though that Jesus didn't have the most beautiful start either. Although he did have parents ready to greet him with love and affection, his surroundings were humble and well, stinky. I think of Andrew Petersons song "Labor of Love", that, it wasn't a "Silent Night". Sophie's story could be made up fluff to make it easier to swallow, but the truth is, it was humble and stinky and like Jesus' story, full of the grace of God that reveals his plan for salvation and adoption.
2 comments:
Thanks for posting these stories about Sophie and how she is putting the pieces together. Just as God put you all together as a family, He gives you the insight, strength and words to say when she asks questions. It's a beautiful thing!
Wow. That is amazing that she understands so much at so young an age. It is so inspiring to hear about you talking to Sophie and resolving not to sugar coat anything. I'm sure it was a hard decision, but one she will love you for.
Post a Comment