


Today we celebrate the day that we met our beautiful daughter, Sophie, or as she introduces herself, Sophie Joy. Everyone is right, time does fly by! Our children really do grow up quickly. I think Sophie may be disappointed today as she thinks that she's getting her baby sister tomorrow. (she prays for her everyday without any prompting) I have explained what the day celebrates, but all she hears is baby, adoption and tomorrow.
I think she'll get the hang of it. It is a super special weekend for or family. We'll celebrate Sophie's Gotcha Day, Adoption Day and Mother's Day. On Mother's day I think we are going to buy some flowers to plant for Sophie's birth mother, or tummy momma. Sophie is around a lot of big bellies right now, and with our family praying for a baby, she's taking notice of all adoption details right now.
I am scrambling to try to finish her lifebook by Saturday, but I really don't think it is going to happen. I have it almost complete, well, except for journaling! I am really motivated to get it done soon though. I plan on copying each page and having it shrunk down a little and then having it laminated and bound so that it can be her special book that is durable. My friend Rebecca did this for her daughter and I thought it was a great idea.
Since this is the day that Sophie became my daughter, I'd like to share a sweet story.
Several months ago, Sophie and I were at McD's and a little (school-aged) boy was not being nice to Sophie. Sophie was trying to get out the way and he was being mean. No parent was anywhere to be found to come and get a hold of this kid. I went over, bent down and told him to leave my daughter alone, to tell her he was sorry and to be nice to her. A little later as I was fastening Sophie into her car seat, Sophie looked at me with the sweetest eyes and said, "I'm a daughter." Since then I hear her tell me all of the time with pride in her voice, "I am your daughter Mama."
Sophie also likes to see me get ready in the morning and she says she looks like me. Sophie's swim instructor, Steve's co-worker, also told me the other day that he thinks Sophie looks like Steve. It is so sweet to realize that our family is knit together in all sorts of ways everyday and you blink and realize the days have turned to years. My friend Barbara T. just told me tonight that she can't believe Sophie and I are not genetically connected because we are exactly alike. I do think we have a lot in common. God is cool like that. Now...if I could just have son or daughter who likes yellow and green Popsicles so me and Sophie can nab all the red ones! Steve's the middle child remember, he'll take the hump.
2 comments:
I'm so happy for you all as you celebrate Sophie's Gotcha Day, Adoption Day and Mother's Day this weekend. Thanks for sharing the sweet story about what Sophie said, too. That is something to treasure in your heart.
Special hugs to Steve this weekend, too, as Mother's Day may be bittersweet.
Love you all!
for no reason, give steve a hug, and know its from me please
enjoy your mothers day...remind me to give you a little knowledge bout moms day that my friend and i were talkin up this weeeknd
love you
Post a Comment