Monday, November 03, 2008

Button treasures





While working on Sophie's Halloween costume, I got out my buttons to use for "Little Bears" eyes. Sophie immediately took notice of the round jewels.
"Mom, can I play with those?"

This took me waaaay back. Of course all children love to sort, count, and play with buttons, but this was special to me. When I was a child, I LOVED to play with my mom's old tin that held buttons that belonged to her mom. I never got to meet my grandmother, she passed away when my mom was only 17 years old. She didn't leave too much behind for me to know her by, but I specifically remember how wonderful it felt to have these tiny treasures in my hand. As I got older, I repurposed many of the buttons and turned them into jewelry and other crafts that would show off their glory.

Isn't it funny what lasts? I doubt my grandmother every thought that her humble button collection would stir memories in a grandchild she never got to make memories with.

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I would have never thought about someone having such a unique memory as I do. My grandmother always had a cigar box full buttons. She worked at Hancock Fabrics in Paducah (independently owned from all the other Hancock Fabrics). They used to have this huge tub up on one of the cutting tables & it will FULL of buttons. I used to get inside & play in the buttons while Mom shopped.

Katie Thompson said...

Bengay, handkerchief, coin bowl, jewelry box, cross necklace. It may sound like a lot, but it's never enough. It's fun to share it all with the kids!